[tei-council] @style

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Oct 5 14:09:20 EDT 2012

This is interesting. These are actually instances where a CSS
pseudo-element is needed, so they're not naturals for @style or even
@rendition/<rendition>. For instance, in the case of the first, in
XHTML/CSS, you would do:

#el:before{
	content: '\2018';
}
#el:after{
	content: '\2019';
}

It's not possible to put this kind of CSS into an XHTML @style attribute
AFAIK, because a key part of the information is in the selector, not the
ruleset. You could do something like this:

<rendition xml:id="saidBefore">content: '\2018';</rendition>
<rendition xml:id="saidAfter">content: '\2019';</rendition>

and then link with:

<said rendition="#saidBefore #saidAfter">...

but this relies on the processor "knowing" that <rendition>s with
"Before" or "After" suffixes in their @xml:ids are to be converted into
pseudo-elements in CSS.

Can anyone see a more elegant way to do this?

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)