[tei-council] reconsidering model.glossLike (bugs 3565137)

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 23 17:37:03 EDT 2012

I started looking at 3565137, and then got cold feet.

Current members of model.glossLike are: model.certLike [certainty
respons] desc gloss precision equiv altIdent

Seems to me that of these only equiv and altIdent are really "gloss
like". Equally, model.certLike and precision seem rather inappropriate
inside *Spec elements.

I fear a fairly major reorganization is needed. Here's my first shot
at it.

The elements currently containing model.glossLike are : attDef
category certainty char classSpec constraintSpec elementSpec gap glyph
graphic incident interp interpGrp join joinGrp kinesic macroSpec
moduleSpec precision respons schemaSpec space substJoin taxonomy
valItem and vocal.

The only thing that all these elements actually have in common is that
they all need a <desc>. Apart from that:

The following  need gloss, equiv, altIdent:
     attDef, category, classSpec, constraintSpec, elementSpec,
     macroSpec moduleSpec schemaSpec taxonomy, valItem

The following need precision and model.certLike
     certainty gap precision respons space substJoin

So, cautiously, I am thinking of doing the following:

(1) define (new) model.descLike, with <desc> as its sole member
(2) redefine model.glossLike with <gloss>, <equiv>, and <altIdent> as
its members
(3) Add <precision> to  model.certLike

Revise class memberships as follows:

attDef    (1) (2)