[tei-council] tcw20.xml (Editing the TEI Guidelines)

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Tue Sep 11 23:08:31 EDT 2012

Martin et al.,

The added code in tcw20.html was throwing a server error because
something in the XSLT stylesheets is triggering a bug when <ref> is a
child of <q>. The workaround was to transform the one instance of that
construct to replace <q>...</q> with “...”. (Googling, I find Michael
Kay referring to a bug involving tunnel parameters and an older version
of Saxon; not sure if that's what is biting our OpenCMS as I don't know
if it's using Saxon for a parser.)

The XSLT stylesheet within OpenCMS does in fact have a template rule for
<egXML> but it is not very robust.

I hate to say it, but for purposes of the ordinary web pages (as opposed
to the Guidelines) I think you'd be better off using <ab> with CDATA
content formatted as desired.

Anyway, if you go into OpenCMS now and take a look at tcw20.xml you'll
see your section appear; you can steal the lock and edit/publish if you
wish.

It might be time to try a wholesale replacement of the version of
tei2.xsl used to format the OpenCMS pages, only I'm not sure there's a
current one using XSLT 1.0? And the other problem affecting changes to
the XSLT is that I believe the stylesheet must be "published" to take
effect even within the offline context of OpenCMS, meaning if it is
buggy it affects the world-viewable site as well.

David

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012, Martin Holmes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just completed one of my Ann Arbor obligations by documenting the
> process of adding a Schematron constraint along with tests for that
> constraint. I've written quite a long section, and you can see the
> results here:
>
> <http://hcmc.uvic.ca/people/martin/tcw20.html#schematron>
>
> All comments appreciated.
>
> However, writing it required the use of <exemplum>, <egXML> and friends.
> Unfortunately, the TCW documents (and I assume their associated
> transformation) are TEI Lite documents, so when I add my code to the
> tcw20.xml file on the TEI site (in CMS), the transform fails and the
> page does not show up. So I've had to comment out my new section for the
> moment.
>
> What should we do about this? Could we transition the tcw files to full
> TEI, and use the default P5 XHTML conversion to render them on the CMS?
> It's going to be a bit difficult to provide good documentation for
> ourselves if we're prevented from using documentation elements.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA