[tei-council] Lite

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 11 10:04:51 EDT 2012

On 11/09/12 14:59, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>> Sfaict, our plan is to make no further substantive changes in the source
>> of the ODD, but to check its compatibility with future P5 releasess. If
>> it ceases to work in the future, the wrath of Birnbaum should be
>> considered to ensue. As such it's a usefu;l (if not unique) conscience
>> checker. Think of it as a canary in a cage...
>

> I agree with this, but its not what several other folks proposed.
> this is effectively no change to what happens now.

well maybe them other folks could speak up with what they think wwe
should do, cos I frankly cannot see any other sensible way forward

> don't forget we have renamed the DTD/Schema, by the way,
> so anyone with a stashed-away URL will lose Lite immediately …

yes, that should obviously be part of the annoiuncement. It makes good
sense, since there is quite a lot of variation in the various things
called "teilite" -- we are making a final clean P5 co,mpatible version,
and the name changes emphasizes that all preceding bets are now off.

> I suspect a redirect may be in order

for the reasons above, i feel less sure about this. If people are
currently happily linking to something called "teilite" locally that
will almost certainly not be the same as what they will get in the next
release under the name of "tei_lite". If they are linking to the
"teilite" on the website, I suppose it would be plausible to make that
point instead to "tei_lite" though. Do you mean the doc, the dtd, the
schema, the odd, or all of them?

Of course, another option would be to undo the name change, and go back
to the underscore_free variant.