[tei-council] Dates and calendars

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Aug 13 13:44:28 EDT 2012

On 12-08-13 04:38 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> I am an eejut.  Gabby is of course completely right. (I knew I
> disapproved of something, but I misremembered what)
>
> I wonder though whether this specific example (where @calendar is
> supplied but there is no content) shouldn't therefore trigger a
> schematron error. It doesn't make a lot of sense to say "there's a date
> in this calendar here but I'm not telling you what it is" surely?

I claim eejut status too. Of course I should be using @when-custom. And
I'm glad it's there, because what I really want to do is to be able to
calculate the equivalent gregorian date automatically from a julian
date, so I need a formal attribute (which I can constrain with
schematron) for encoding the julian date. So I disapprove of your
disapproval of att.datable.custom.

This does seem to be a good candidate for a schematron rule, so I'll do
that, assuming Gabby agrees, and I'll also use it as the basis for the
little guide to writing constraints that I've been supposed to be
creating for ages.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)