[tei-council] Feedback from SIGs for 2012-08-09 teleconference

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 13:43:20 EDT 2012

On 09/08/12 18:31, Gabriel BODARD wrote:
> On 09/08/2012 18:27, James Cummings wrote:
>> The board is currently re-examining how SIGs are run and
>> organised and thinking about changing the rules at:
>> http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/SIG/rules.xml
>
> I thought we had decided a couple of years ago that the management of
> SIGs should be the responsibility of Council, not the Board?
>
> (Of course, we can *decide* that, but only the Board can decree it...)
>
> :-)

Yes, if you read that rules page you'll see that a SIG
Coordinator is to be appointed by the Council from among its
members. I'm currently awaiting the outcome of the board
discussion before approaching someone on Council.  A flaw in this
system, I've suggested, is that Council members are elected for 2
year terms. They then may get to grips with the SIGs a year into
their term at the first members meeting since their election, and
then only have a year to go. I'm of the opinion that it would be
better for the Council to appoint someone *outside* of the
Council to do this.

I would be interested in Council's views though, and htis is what
I was going to raise in the meeting (in another hour and fifteen
minutes from time of sending this). ;-)

-James

Dr James Cummings, researchsupport at it.ox.ac.uk
Research Support, IT Services, University of Oxford