[tei-council] No scheme-based formal way to refer to a contributor's role?

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 8 11:42:18 EDT 2012

On 12-08-08 01:30 AM, James Cummings wrote:
> On 08/08/12 01:49, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> Now I'm trying to find a formal way to link to the <category> elements
>> from <person>. The only way I can find to do it is to use
>> occupation/@code, since occupation allows @scheme, from which you can
>> point to the taxonomy. But that doesn't seem quite right; these are not
>> actually "occupations". There is @role, but that's data.enumerated, not
>> data.pointer(s).
>
> Wouldn't @ana on <person> do this? Or indeed maybe more
> accurately on <occupation>? What you're doing is providing an
> analysis of the role by linking it to a <category>, so doesn't
> seem abusive to me.

If <occupation> is the way to do it, then using @scheme and @code is
definitely correct. I'm just a bit uncomfortable with the use of
<occupation> itself:

"<occupation> contains an informal description of a person's trade,
profession or occupation. "

"Editorial Board member" isn't really an occupation; it's one of
potentially many roles played by a person in a project. What I want,
perhaps, is something closer to <resp>, but that's not available in
<person>.

However, I have just come across <respons>:

"<respons> (responsibility) identifies the individual(s) responsible for
some aspect of the markup of particular element(s)."

which I didn't notice because it's hiding in the "certainty" module
(why?). That looks much better, although its restriction to "some aspect
of the markup of particular elements" is not really going to cover "site
design" or "Editorial Board member". It does have @resp, which is
data.pointer:

"a pointer to one of the identifiers typically but not necessarily
declared in the current document header, associated with a person
asserted as responsible for some aspect of the text's creation,
transcription, editing, or encoding".

That looks a bit better.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)