[tei-council] TEI deprecation practices

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Aug 5 13:39:31 EDT 2012

HI Kevin,

This is very helpful. The first thing that occurs to me is that the
"soft deprecation" method is hard to notice in the Guidelines; the Note
in which it's mentioned in e.g. <relationGrp> is right at the bottom of
the page:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-relationGrp.html>

and many people would use the tag unknowingly without getting that far.
The fact that <relationGrp> is no longer mentioned in the chapter linked
from the element page is perhaps a clue, but not a very good one. We
could make the deprecation more evident by putting some signal directly
into the first row/cell of the element page (such as the red text shown
in the hard-deprecated @targets definition).

Personally, I don't like the distinction between hard and soft
deprecation. What "soft" really means in the case of e.g. relationGrp is
that the element is retained for backwards-compatibility; I think that
should always be temporary, albeit perhaps long-lasting, and the
end-result of deprecation should be eventual removal/replacement.