[tei-council] Certainty within milestoneLike

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 3 08:21:20 EDT 2012

I don't think it's hard to find lots of cases where indication of
uncertainty or imprecision *might be* needed. As soon as you accept that
the markup is making an assertion, you may want to hedge that assertion.
But that's why the <certainty> and <precision> elements are defined for
use in a standoffish way -- so that they can be used generically as
necessary. It's not an argument for introducing what I persist in seeing
as an unnecessary complication into the way empty tags are defined however.

So far the only real case we've seen discussed (uncertainty about the
location of a line break) can easily be solved by adding @cert and @resp
to <lb/> -- a linebreak is *only* about location, so there's no need to
specify the type of uncertainty concerned. Even if there were, a
<certainty> element pointing to the <lb/> concerned doesn't seem to me
to be much of an overhead.

I have commented to this effect on the ticket and look forward to being
shouted down...