[tei-council] Fwd: TITE again

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 15 12:53:20 EDT 2012

On 15 Jul 2012, at 17:29, Martin Holmes wrote:

> This makes me rather uncomfortable, because we're unambiguously
> importing presentational elements into the schema.

sure. but this is just somewhere a bit further along the
scale on which lists, tables, page breaks,  etc sit, I would
argue. I don't think there can be a black and white case against <b>,

> There is one other option, though: the kiss module could explicitly
> import elements from the XHTML namespace.

that surely defeats the point, if you have to say <xhtml:b> and declare
the prefix? One could certainly use <equiv> to note the relationship,
I think.

a module called "typesetting" or "presentation" (not "kiss" :-})
would do the job, and would even allow for a <font> element
(no, I am not joking).

There is a question, perhaps, over whether we should start
talking about a TEI profile called "core", which we promote
instead of "tei_all" as the normal test of TEI goodness. and that
would not include the "typesetting" module. Cue lengthy argument.

All that said, I don't think this request is so urgent that we shouldn't
just put it on the agenda for the autumn. I'd much rather
we resolved some requests which more genuinely block TCP translation,
eg  3531957, 3531963, 3439980 - especially the latter!
Head of Information and Support Group
Oxford University Computing Services