[tei-council] Fwd: TITE again

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Jul 15 12:29:06 EDT 2012

This makes me rather uncomfortable, because we're unambiguously
importing presentational elements into the schema. On the other hand, I
have to admit that this>:

<b>stuff</b>

is simpler, clearer and more user-friendly than either of these:

<hi rend="bold">stuff</hi>
<hi rend="font-weight: bold;">stuff</hi>
<hi style="font-weight: bold;">stuff</hi>

So I think on balance I like Sebastian's idea of a "kiss" module
containing these elements, but I think we obviously have to keep @rend
(and I still think we need @style for CSS). I disagree that the list
should be as short as possible, though; if we include <sup> but not
<sub>, for instance, we'll just get lots of feature requests which
rightly point out that such a choice is essentially arbitrary -- unless
we're prepared to do a huge amount of research and statistical analysis
to support the exclusions.

There is one other option, though: the kiss module could explicitly
import elements from the XHTML namespace.

--
Martin Holmes
mholmes at uvic.ca
UVic Humanities Computing and Media Centre