[tei-council] http://purl.org/tei/fr/3519866 (@rend datatype)

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Jul 5 14:20:11 EDT 2012

On 12-07-05 10:17 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2012, at 18:13, Gabriel Bodard wrote:
>
>> And I'm not a big fan of the token|free|css choice in the header,
>> because are we *sure* that everyone is always going to want to treat
>> @rend the same way on *all* elements?
>
> goodness me. if they don't use @rend consistently across the document,
> we might as well shoot ourselves now! you think someone may be saying

For a little while in one of my projects, I had exactly this, as we
transitioned a large document collection from token values to CSS in
@rend. I handled it easily in the XSLT by checking for a colon in the
value; if there was a colon there, then I assumed CSS, and if not, I
assumed one or more of the earlier token values. It worked fine.

It would be a silly approach as an encoding strategy, though.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)