[tei-council] http://purl.org/tei/fr/3519866 (@rend datatype)

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 12:00:43 EDT 2012

I'm a very nice reasonable person, and I have quite strong views on this
subject too! Not to pre-empt further discussion, I observe that the
current datatype (1:n data.words) was a change deliberately (and quite
recently) introduced to appease those who were uncomfortable with the
requirement to predefine styles, implicit in using @rendition.

It does not really permit arbitrary syntax (like rendition ladders or
local CSS), so that (legacy) constituency remains unsatisfied. At the
same time, it requires the user to tell fibs, so that progressive (if
anal) thinkers are also dissatisfied with it. As I said on the ticket,
the only sensible way to resolve this issue is to return to the status
quo ante bellum.