[tei-council] CH and Language Tags

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jul 4 11:26:54 EDT 2012

Hi all,

The more I look at the instructions for constructing language tags in
the CH chapter, the less I like them. I do, however, like these two
excellent guides, one higher-level and the other more practical:

<http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/>

<http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-choosing-language-tags>

I'm inclined to replace all of our confusing and outdated info with
something which simply says:

  - BCP47 is the authoritative guide to best practice.

  - IANA's language subtag registry is the authoritative list of
recommended subtags.

  - The first document above (language-tags) gives a solid overview of
the process of constructing language tags.

- The second document (qa-choosing-language-tags) gives a detailed set
of step-by-step instructions for choosing appropriate language tags.

Does anyone see any objection to this? Right now we have vague and
misleading instructions, and although we could rewrite them, where
better authoritative sources exist, it makes more sense, I think, to
refer readers to them.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)