[tei-council] Extended language subtags must begin with the letter "s".???

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Jun 28 16:52:16 EDT 2012

I never saw Chris's response -- maybe he just responded to you, or the
list rejected his mail.

I've been reading through that section, and he's right that the
extension subtag "s" is _possible_, assuming that the "s" extension is
"allocated to a registration authority via the mechanism described in
Section 3.7". This tells us that IANA is responsible for the assigning
single-letter subtags. The only such list I can find on the IANA site is
this one:

<http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tag-extensions-registry>

which defines only two, "t" and "u".

So I'm pretty sure that although these are plausible examples, they're
not actually real, unless someone has registered the singleton subtag,
and I can find no evidence of that.

I'm copying Chris again in case he can remember where these examples
actually came from. I think we can say for sure, though, that the
sentence "Extended language subtags must begin with the letter "s"." is
nonsense and should be removed. Unless I hear any objections, I'll do
that tomorrow.

I'm not sure that it's a good idea, either, to provide examples which,
while plausible, have never been seen in the wild, when we could stick
to known good examples from the subtag registry. So I would vote for
replacing those examples unless we can find out where they originate.