[tei-council] @facs on graphic

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 20 17:11:55 EDT 2012

On 20 Jun 2012, at 21:33, Lou Burnard wrote:
> Indeed yes, but what does it mean?
>
> I *think* it means
>
> (a) there is a graphic *here* (presumably in some text I am transcribing)
> (b) there is a file representing said graphic over there at foo.png
> (c) the graphic actually appears over there at area52 (presumably a zone
> in a sourceDoc)

> <graphic url="foo.png" facs="#area52"/>

I think it means that there is a zone in the source doc @area52 (of which we
may or may not have a picture, go there are find out); and what we have here is a picture
which is how to choose to represent that area in our edited text.

Not the same as your interpretation, I think.

example: the zone may show an ornate character, which we  represent
here (in the edited text) with a graphic. not necessarily the same
graphic.

> Since when I get to area52, I confidently expect to find another
> <graphic url="foo.png"/>, I rayther think the correct answer is to have
> a schematron rule which says you cannot supply both @facs and @url on
> the same <graphic>

well, I think thats going a little far.
Head of Information and Support Group