[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sat Jun 16 02:09:38 EDT 2012

On 12-06-15 03:31 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:

>> So I would be very interested in the fourth child of<text>   as well.
>> But I wonder whether we can solve the<listApp>   problem separately, even
>> only for those who are encoding an apparatus that occurs in the source
>> document.
>>
>>> We need a name that incorporates the idea that these items are not part
>>> of the source document flow, although they may include text which ends
>>> up being rendered into that flow.
>>
>> <supplements>?
>

> We need to be clear what we're talking about here. Is it a child of
> <text>  or a sibling?

I had been thinking a child, because its proposed content is sometimes
part of the "text" (in the case of <app>, for instance, where <rdg>s are
part of one of the sources).

> I think the original suggestion was the latter. However, what if the
> <text>  is inside a<group>? Do I have to sort out my<extraBits>  so that
> they're with the appropriate<text>  inside the<group>  or do I put them
> all together along with the outer<text>?

A nice question. I think if the content of the element applies only to
one <text>, then it belongs in that <text>, but if it applies to the
<group>, then it should be a child of the <group>. So it needs to be
allowed in both places. It should also, presumably, be available as a
child of <teiCorpus>, for cases where its content applies to all the
<TEI>s therein.

> When and why did we decide this thingie should not be in the Header?
> Makes perfectly good sense to me -- it's metadata isn't it? Why not put
> it inside say encodingDesc/editorialDecl/ ?

It's not metadata; at least in the case of <app>s, it's content from one
or more source texts.

> (BTW, the idea for this container is not new : it was mooted back in
> SGML days when we thought it might be amusing to call it
> "LinkedDataBlock" or ldb for short.)

This is only amusing if your middle initial is d. Is it?

Martin Holmes
mholmes at uvic.ca
UVic Humanities Computing and Media Centre