[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 18:31:19 EDT 2012

On 15/06/12 23:21, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> See below ...
>
> On 6/15/2012 12:08 PM, Martin Holmes wrote:

>>> I dont think so. in the case of eg<link>, its _always_ standoff, but<app>
>>> and<note>    can be used in either way, which is confusing (to me).
>>>
>>> one could almost posit _another_ sibling of<text>    called<standoffText>    where
>>> all this stuff lives.

[ snip ]

> So I would be very interested in the fourth child of<text>  as well.
> But I wonder whether we can solve the<listApp>  problem separately, even
> only for those who are encoding an apparatus that occurs in the source
> document.
>
>> We need a name that incorporates the idea that these items are not part
>> of the source document flow, although they may include text which ends
>> up being rendered into that flow.
>
> <supplements>?

We need to be clear what we're talking about here. Is it a child of
<text> or a sibling?

I think the original suggestion was the latter. However, what if the
<text> is inside a <group>? Do I have to sort out my <extraBits> so that
they're with the appropriate <text> inside the <group> or do I put them
all together along with the outer <text>?

When and why did we decide this thingie should not be in the Header?
Makes perfectly good sense to me -- it's metadata isn't it? Why not put
it inside say encodingDesc/editorialDecl/ ?

(BTW, the idea for this container is not new : it was mooted back in
SGML days when we thought it might be amusing to call it
"LinkedDataBlock" or ldb for short.)