[tei-council] At least one <rdg> in <app>

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Jun 15 16:41:23 EDT 2012

Hi all,

One of my tasks is this one, relating to <rdg>s in <app>:

"http://purl.org/tei/bug/3496958 (MH) We leave the content model alone
(it’s horrible), but we use this as an example for Council to
collaborate on the creation of one or more Schematron constraints which
will enforce the presence of at least one <rdg> , to everyone’s
edification."

I have actually done this, but I'm a little concerned that I shouldn't
have, because if we look at the ticket:

<http://purl.org/TEI/BUGS/3496958>

it seems clear that Gaby at least is not in agreement with this.

Going back to the minutes of the Ann Arbor discussion, we have this:

3496958  (number of <rdg>s in <app>):

                 GB added a note to the ticket saying that the
availability of a single <rdg> is intentional and required.

                 Action: (MH) We leave the content model alone (it’s
horrible), but we use this as an example for Council to collaborate on
the creation of one or more Schematron constraints which will enforce
the presence of at least one <rdg>, to everyone’s edification.

This doesn't reflect quite what Gaby said on the ticket, which was that
the original element definition "was deliberate to allow an <app> with
no <rdg> as well. (The use-case envisaged was just a <ptr> [to an app,
choice, subst or similar construction in the transcription] and/or a
<note> with editorial observations on it.)"

So before we let this constraint out into the wild, I thought we should
revisit it and confirm that we really do want to force at least one
<rdg> in <app>. If so, I'll happily add a detailed comment on the ticket
explaining how we got there, and close it, but if not I can remove the
constraint.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)