[tei-council] Two quick questions about Schematron constraints

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Jun 15 14:46:27 EDT 2012

I'm rather belatedly getting around to implementing a couple of
schematron constraints I was tasked with at Ann Arbor, and thinking
about the explanatory bit on constraints that I'll be writing for "How
to edit the Guidelines".

Looking at the existing constraints, I have a couple of questions:

In this constraint (from delSpan):

   <constraintSpec ident="spanTo" scheme="isoschematron">
     <constraint>
       <assert xmlns="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron"
test="@spanTo">The spanTo= attribute of <name/> is required.</assert>
     </constraint>
   </constraintSpec>

does <name/> automatically get replaced by ancestor::elementSpec/@ident?
What happens in the case of constraints on attributes? There appears to
be only one (on @targetLang in att.pointing), but if <name/> were used
there, would it be replaced with @targetLang, or with the ancestor's
@ident (att.pointing)?

Secondly, these constraints appear on the root TEI element:

   <constraintSpec ident="c1" scheme="isoschematron">
     <constraint>
       <ns xmlns="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron" prefix="tei"
uri="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0"/>
     </constraint>
   </constraintSpec>
   <constraintSpec ident="c2" scheme="isoschematron">
     <constraint>
       <ns xmlns="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron" prefix="rng"
uri="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"/>
     </constraint>
   </constraintSpec>

What are they actually doing, if anything?

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)