[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 04:54:21 EDT 2012

On 15 Jun 2012, at 09:49, James Cummings wrote:

> I don't think that is true. You still have the ability to have other appendices.
and how do you distinguish them?

> I dispute your claim that there is a 'normal reading order' when constructing a born-digital file that could have many forms of output.

that's cos you are an idealist. ask 100 people in the technical writing sphere, and 99 will
agree that there is a normal reading order, i betcha

IFFFFF @type was in any way standardized or meaningful, yes. But since @type is a purely private notation, it cannot
remotely be relied on. cf discussions about @rend. Grrrrr

> That said, <listApp> and then by extension <listNote> would provide containers for such things. However, they are significantly different from say <listBibl> in that if you ran across a <listBibl> somewhere in a <back> you would certainly be rendering it there, I suspect.

true. but at least its an umbiguous rule - <listApp> would always be standoff. no?
Head of Information and Support Group
Oxford University Computing Services