[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 04:49:01 EDT 2012

On 15/06/12 09:38, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> <back>  "contains any appendixes, etc. following the main part of a text"
> if you use it as a container for standoff notes and apps, you lose its valuable function
> as a place for appendices which are in normal reading order.

I don't think that is true. You still have the ability to have
other appendices. I dispute your claim that there is a 'normal
reading order' when constructing a born-digital file that could
have many forms of output.

> when I typeset a TEI document, I expect to render all of the<back>  using just
> the same techniques as when I render<front>  or<body>. I don't expect
> to render standoff notes and apps there where I meet them, I expect to be
> given a clue that they are standoff.

Isn't that what div/@type would do? Classify them in a way so
your processing could know what to do with them? i.e.  If I had

That said, <listApp> and then by extension <listNote> would
provide containers for such things. However, they are
significantly different from say <listBibl> in that if you ran
across a <listBibl> somewhere in a <back> you would certainly be
rendering it there, I suspect.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev