[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 04:18:58 EDT 2012

On 15/06/12 09:09, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Because these<app>s are standoff markup, and the div/ab
> structure implies (to me) that you can see them in the source text.
> Or am I wrong, and we're not talking about standoff<app>s?

If they are <app>s with <rdg>s then you *can* see them in one of
the source texts (unless they contain <supplied>).  This is
textual information, generally present in a source document, not
metadata, it does *not* belong in the header, IMHO. A TEI file is
not the product of a single source. Standoff <app>s are still
<app>s, and <app>s contain readings from real source texts.

> in that example we're working on from SOAS, James, the
> set of<app>s is certainly in this category.

Yes, and those appear in manuscripts as real text. They should be
in the body (ok, arguably 'back') of the TEI file, not in
metadata about the file.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev