[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 04:09:30 EDT 2012

On 14 Jun 2012, at 17:40, James Cummings wrote:

> On 14/06/12 17:26, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>>    <ab>
>>>       <app xml:id="app1">...</app>
>>>       <app xml:id="app2">...</app>
>>>   <!-- ... -->
>>>    </ab>
>> abuse as heck, then…..
>
> Why so?  It is precisely non-semantic anonymous container
> groupings like this that <ab> is intended for.

Because these <app>s are standoff markup, and the div/ab
structure implies (to me) that you can see them in the source text.
Or am I wrong, and we're not talking about standoff <app>s?

in that example we're working on from SOAS, James, the
set of <app>s is certainly in this category.

Head of Information and Support Group
Oxford University Computing Services