[tei-council] release notes (was Re: main font changed for gidlines -- found the problem chars...)

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 03:51:56 EDT 2012

On 15/06/12 08:41, Lou Burnard wrote:
> The trouble with this is that peoples view of what is significant is
> likely to vary. And there wont be any obvious way of summarising a lot
> of small unrelated changes.  What has happened in the past is that one
> person (usually me) has checked the log and summarised it, in the form
> that you have now discovered.
>
> But the fact that you've only just discovered it suggests that maybe
> it's not that important!

No, it is important, because it is one of the things pointed to
in the announcement of the release. Would you be willing to do so
again for today's release?

>> 2. tcw22 should be revised to say:
>> a) before a release, ask Council members to skim
>> P5/ReleaseNotes/readme-N.N.N.xml and see if anything else comes to mind
>> to add
> That would certainly be a good idea

Agreed.

>> b) after releasing, create a new file in
>> P5/ReleaseNotes/readme-N.N.N.xml for the next release so that this is
>> ready for editing
> Don't see the point of that -- the old version is always there as a
> template.

also this is unable to be done because at time of release it is
reasonably impossible to know what the next release number will
be, because it is dependent on the nature of the changes. (i.e.
if it is just a typo-correcting release vs a schema-changing
release vs a major schema change.)

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev