[tei-council] Location of <app>s for external apparatus

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Jun 14 12:25:49 EDT 2012

On 12-06-14 09:02 AM, Gabriel BODARD wrote:
> On 14/06/2012 16:56, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> I think we might still want to provide some clearer guidance on where
>> this stuff belongs in the file (presumably either in the header or in
>> <back>).
>
> We emphatically put this in a div in the body, but this is because we're
> generally encoding an edition (rather than digitally birthing one, if
> you see what I mean).

That makes sense. I guess, then, we need a discussion of where it
belongs in various different scenarios. I mentioned the header, but has
anyone actually put external apparatus in a <teiHeader>?

>> The next question would be whether any other elements are allowed in
>> <listApp>   other than<app>, and if so, what should they be. I think
>> people will want to provide some descriptive information about the list
>> see a need for anything else, though. Any thoughts on this?
>
> I'm not sure I'm convinced it needs more than<head>. Notes and such
> like should be contained in individual apps, no? (Happy to hear
> counter-examples though.

I was thinking that <head> would be more appropriate for text that
you're expecting to reproduce in an output somewhere, or which exists in
an original source; <desc> seems more appropriate for editorial
information about the apparatus, doesn't it?

>> Should it also nest, like other lists do? I don't see why not.
>
> Yes, I think it should. As you say, other list*s do, and if you can
> group things someone's eventually going to want to nest those groups.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)