[tei-council] Jenkins builder script now working

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Jun 14 12:07:31 EDT 2012

Hi Sebastian,

On 12-06-14 08:48 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 14 Jun 2012, at 16:32, Martin Holmes wrote:
>>
>> Currently, the font family only comes in Libertine Serif, which like most all alternative serifs is designed to emulate Times New Roman.
>>
> yes, it seems to be more or less metric compatible
>>
>> Poll recommends Libertine primarily for print work, and says other Linux fonts such as Deja Vu Serif work better for screen displays.
>
> it is a moot question as to whether our PDF is designed for screen or print.

>> <http://sixrevisions.com/web_design/a-web-designers-guide-to-linux-fonts/>
>>
>> One approach would be to get a distinct list of all the characters in the Glines which are rendered using Times New Roman, and check them against what's in Libertine. That would be relatively straightforward for me if the PDFs were being created with XSL:FO, but LaTeX is a mystery to me.
>
> isdry-pro:public rahtz$ grep -i missing ~/TEI/Sourceforge/trunk/P5/Guidelines.log  | sort -u
>
> Missing character: There is no ƿ in font DejaVu Sans Mono/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no ȝ in font DejaVu Sans Mono/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 三 in font DejaVu Sans Mono/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 可 in font DejaVu Sans Mono/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 外 in font Linux Libertine O/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 孔 in font DejaVu Sans Mono/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 字 in font Linux Libertine O/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 小 in font DejaVu Sans Mono/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 欄 in font DejaVu Sans Mono/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 沢 in font Linux Libertine O/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 淳 in font Linux Libertine O/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 的 in font DejaVu Sans Mono/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 藤 in font Linux Libertine O/ICU!
> Missing character: There is no 見 in font DejaVu Sans Mono/ICU!

I did this on an old log built with Times:

mholmes at spud-2012:~/WorkData/tei/sf_repo/trunk/P5$ grep -i "in font
Times New Roman" Guidelines.log  | sort -u
Missing character: There is no ⁰ in font Times New Roman/ICU!
Missing character: There is no ⁶ in font Times New Roman/ICU!
Missing character: There is no ̧ in font Times New Roman Italic/ICU!
Missing character: There is no 外 in font Times New Roman/ICU!
Missing character: There is no 字 in font Times New Roman/ICU!
Missing character: There is no 沢 in font Times New Roman/ICU!
Missing character: There is no 淳 in font Times New Roman/ICU!
Missing character: There is no 藤 in font Times New Roman/ICU!

So these problems are pre-existing. In fact Libertine seems to be doing
a better job. These should all be rendered with Kincho or Ming anyway,
shouldn't they?

They presumably need tagging with @xml:lang to get the right font?