[tei-council] <stage> in divliminal

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 17:24:18 EDT 2012

On 5 Jun 2012, at 14:16, James Cummings wrote:

>  So when I
> see this, I keep thinking it needed to be encoded differently,
> e.,g. as with floatingText as you suggest. I'm not saying this is
> wrong, just that it makes me do a double-take, imho.

But let's be clear, redoing the markup like that is
probably not within the scope of an automated transform
(unless you want to try....).

You may like to try doing an analysis of the 40k texts
to see how many occurrences of this slightly dodgy
markup which you can find.

>> (4) the reason we allow <stage> (rightly or wrongly in this case)
>> in that unfortunate position amongst the div-liminals
>> is that we regard <stage> as a specialization of <note>.
>
> That seems reasonable, it is a note in the same way a marginal
> annotation is a note.

I am not convinced that the sequence head note head would be
legal either
Head of Information and Support Group
Oxford University Computing Services