[tei-council] <stage> in divliminal

Paul F. Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Tue Jun 5 17:05:27 EDT 2012

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012, James Cummings wrote:

> Note also that all of this is encoded inside a <sp> (mistakenly I would argue).
>
> JamesC

FWIW, I've pasted in a somewhat fuller context below.
The page image, for those at ECCO-owning institutions, is on
the Gale site at
http://find.galegroup.com/ecco/infomark.do?docType=ECCOArticles&docLevel=FASCIMILE&prodId=ECCO&tabID=T001&type=multipage&version=1.0&docId=CW3307931635&contentSet=ECCOArticles&relevancePageBatch=CW107931610&source=gale

I'd say:
(1) this song is less speech-like than many, and could easily
     do without the <sp> tags. As James says.
(2) but other such songs often include overt signs of
     dramatic form and really do belong within <sp> tags.
(3) the more problematic choice, I think, was to tag the
     song as an <lg> -- a question that has arisen before.
     We do it, but have tended to move away from it, and
     now generally prefer to tag discreet songs in drama
     as floating texts. If the song is divided between
     speakers, floatingText is the only choice (now supplemented
     in some cases by <spGrp> -- though not if the song
     contains a <byline>).
(4) the reason we allow <stage> (rightly or wrongly in this case)
     in that unfortunate position amongst the div-liminals
     is that we regard <stage> as a specialization of <note>.

pfs

Context for Sebastian's passage:

<sp>
<speaker>King.</speaker>
<l>Let me have Music to compose my Breast,</l>
<l>And lull my Senses to a pleasing Rest.</l>
</sp>
<sp>
<lg n="14" type="song">
<head>SONG.</head>
<stage>Sung by Priests.</stage>
<head>AIR XIV.</head>
<gap reason="music">
<lg>
<l>Who rules the World with settled Sway,</l>
<l>And does with peaceful Homage meet:</l>
<pb n="24" ref="27">
<l>His silver Crescents shine so bright,</l>
<l>They put out ev'ry other Light,</l>
<l>And Nations bow beneath his Feet.</l>
</lg>
</lg>
</sp>
<stage>[After the Song, a Dance of Moors.]</stage>
<stage>Trumpets within.</stage>
<sp>
<speaker>Mirz.</speaker>
<l>May Conquest ever on their Arms attend,</l>
<l>And living Laurels crown their Royal Brows!</l>
</sp>