[tei-council] Setting up read-only access to TEI Council list?

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Fri May 18 10:58:53 EDT 2012

I think it would be fairly easy for me to set up a new
public-subscription email list using UVA's current standard list
software (Sympa), such that (1) it would mirror posts to tei-council,
(2) anyone could subscribe to it, and (3) it would have user-friendly
searchable archives. Let me know if this is desired.

In the meantime, I am going to ask the UVA email list gurus if they
would be willing to attempt migrating the archives of tei-council to
Sympa. If so, the best option might be to make that transition instead.
I will report back.

David

On Fri, 18 May 2012, Martin Holmes wrote:

> On 12-05-18 07:21 AM, James Cummings wrote:
>> On 18/05/12 14:23, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>>> a) Add as a member of tei-council an address like
>>> council-outsiders at lists.village.virginia.edu , which we would advertise
>>> so that those interested could subscribe.  Members of that list would
>>> receive messages sent to tei-council, and we would trust that they
>>> wouldn't ever send a message to tei-council with
>>> "council-outsiders at lists.village.virginia.edu" as the sender in order to
>>> post.
>>
>> They could most likely be set to not having posting abilities (or
>> their posts to be moderated).
>>
>>> b) Add as a member of tei-council some email address hooked up to an
>>> email-to-RSS service and then publicize the feed URL.
>>> The advantage to (a) is that it allows threading of messages, whereas
>>> feeds (b) do not.  But (a) would also create an entirely duplicated
>>> message archive.
>>
>> Wouldn't another option be to get the mailing list archived by
>> one of the services which currently archive the TEI-L mailing list?
>
> I thought the archives were already public here:
>
> <http://lists.village.virginia.edu/pipermail/tei-council/2012/date.html#start>
>
> I don't see much point in duplicating the archive, unless the
> alternative site has better searching and browsing functionality.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA