[tei-council] Editing the Guidelines

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 16 05:58:41 EDT 2012

On 16/05/12 03:52, Rebecca Welzenbach wrote:
> If that's right, instead of expanding this step, I suggest that the
> sentence "Make sure your source is still valid against the p5odds.rnc
> schema," either just be dropped altogether, or become part of the
> bullet underneath, "If you have a locally installed P5 build
> environment, make sure you can still build, and that the examples are
> still valid," so that it's clear this is part of the process of
> checking your work with a local build, but can be safely ignored if
> you're just going to commit and wait for results from Jenkins.

I do think that is right and that this should be made even more
explicit. (i.e. say "You do not have to be able to build P5
locally as Jenkins should test that P5 can still build and that
the examples are still valid. Those with local P5 build
environments can check locally that their changes are valid
before committing, but this is not required."  (I like seeing the
mistakes that others make, personally, it is informative.)

What do others think? I realise that if too many people are
committing errors then we can get Jenkins into quite a state and
it can be quite a delay, but I think the default assumption
should be that we are relying on it, not on individual
contributors to build/test/validate everything.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,