[tei-council] Editing the Guidelines

Rebecca Welzenbach rwelzenbach at gmail.com
Tue May 15 22:52:36 EDT 2012

Thanks, Martin.

The bulleted list of steps at
http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw20.xml#body.1_div.4
reads as though "Make sure your source is still valid against the
p5odds.rnc schema," is its own step, to be completed before either
doing a local build or committing to let Jenkins assess the changes.

Martin did indeed come up with a way to do this (which works just
fine, BTW!). However, the text that follows in
http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw20.xml#body.1_div.4
gives lots of reasons for letting Jenkins do all the validation for
you, which suggests to me that validating against p5odds.rnc was never
really meant to be attempted by those who are choosing the
commit-and-wait option.

If that's right, instead of expanding this step, I suggest that the
sentence "Make sure your source is still valid against the p5odds.rnc
schema," either just be dropped altogether, or become part of the
bullet underneath, "If you have a locally installed P5 build
environment, make sure you can still build, and that the examples are
still valid," so that it's clear this is part of the process of
checking your work with a local build, but can be safely ignored if
you're just going to commit and wait for results from Jenkins.

Becky