[tei-council] DCR alignment inside ODD

Stuart A. Yeates syeates at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 17:16:05 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Piotr Bański <bansp at o2.pl> wrote:
> On 30/04/12 14:06, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>
>> On 30 Apr 2012, at 11:18, stuart yeates wrote:
>>

>>> I've written up a quick XSLT to transform the webpage into a DTD (see
>>> both transform and output below). Feedback welcome. Is it worth
>>> including this in the TEI distribution?
>>>
>> if there is a fixed list of possible values for dcr:datcat,
>> we should surely enforce this directly in our schema,
>> as a <valList type="closed">?
>
> My point was that there are many such lists. And the one chosen by
> Stuart is no better than the others. It's just the first to be input.
> Hopefully not the last.
>
> And in general, why copy something that is maintained separately? I'd
> rather not see the TEI tied to one random set of solutions, contested by
> more parties than back it up.

I agree that maintaining something separate is a bad idea. My plan was
the have the XSLT and two lines in a make file in the TEI svn to build
a new list from the web page every time we did a build / release.

> Flexibility lies in providing the option to refer to external
> collections, rather than tying the TEI to one of them, selected at
> random. Next thing, we're going to recommend values for "gender", with
> e.g. "feminine" defined as "referring to women" or something equally
> sorry that you can find in ISOcat descriptions.

I completely agree. Indeed the list I supplied doesn't satisfactorily
cover the Eastern Polynesian languages I care about.

Maybe we should put this on hold?

cheers
stuart