[tei-council] DCR alignment inside ODD

Piotr Bański bansp at o2.pl
Mon Apr 30 09:09:38 EDT 2012

On 30/04/12 14:06, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2012, at 11:18, stuart yeates wrote:
>

>> I've written up a quick XSLT to transform the webpage into a DTD (see
>> both transform and output below). Feedback welcome. Is it worth
>> including this in the TEI distribution?
>>
> if there is a fixed list of possible values for dcr:datcat,
> we should surely enforce this directly in our schema,
> as a <valList type="closed">?

My point was that there are many such lists. And the one chosen by
Stuart is no better than the others. It's just the first to be input.
Hopefully not the last.

And in general, why copy something that is maintained separately? I'd
rather not see the TEI tied to one random set of solutions, contested by
more parties than back it up.

Flexibility lies in providing the option to refer to external
collections, rather than tying the TEI to one of them, selected at
random. Next thing, we're going to recommend values for "gender", with
e.g. "feminine" defined as "referring to women" or something equally
sorry that you can find in ISOcat descriptions.

  P.