[tei-council] removing and renaming XML files

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Wed Apr 25 11:05:45 EDT 2012

On 4/20/2012 6:19 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> I still think that on balance it's not worth the effort of renaming the
> chapter file. But then I was also the one who wanted to leave it with
> the name "DI,xml" on the grounds that introducing more information into
> file names would only lead to tears before bedtime. And lo...

I still don't understand what complications renaming will introduce.

Cross-references to chapters are already of the form

<ptr target="#DI"/>

and all files online are still named according to the form "DI.html".

So if we rename

DI-PrintDictionaries.xml

DI-Dictionaries.xml

to match what's actually used in the div[@type='div1']/head of that
chapter, what would be the problem?

The advantage is that it makes it easier for us to find the right file
(based on the name of the chapter).  The only problem I can imagine is
that it disrupts the version control history, but maybe there's a way to
mend that in Subversion that I'm not aware of.

--Kevin