[tei-council] <egXML> example

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sat Mar 24 10:50:59 EDT 2012

I think I just had an aha moment:

If the purpose of the example is to illustrate the use of @valid, then
@valid needs also to be on the embedded CDATA <egXML> as well as the
outer one:

    <exemplum xml:lang="en">
      <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples" xml:lang="und"
	   valid="false">
<![CDATA[
        <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples" valid="false">
          <langUsage>
            <language ident="fr">English</language>
          </langUsage>
        </egXML>
<!-- Though syntactically valid, this example is incorrect -->
]]>
      </egXML>
    </exemplum>

The comment also needs to point out what is being illustrated:

<!-- Though syntactically valid, this example is incorrect because
      the text of the <language> element does not match its @ident
      value. Therefore the attribute @valid is set to false.  -->

Now, if I'm right, the purpose of the example will be apparent. I've
implemented that change and we'll see what the result looks like when
Jinks has finished with it in an hour or so:

<http://teijenkins.hcmc.uvic.ca:8080/job/TEIP5-Documentation/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Guidelines-web/en/html/ref-egXML.html>

I'm still not sure if we should have that as the first example of
<egXML>, but that's a different question.