[tei-council] <egXML> example

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Mar 23 16:38:11 EDT 2012

This is actually more complex than we thought:

I'd actually missed the language mismatch error, because I was looking
for something that was wrong with the use of <egXML>. But now I've
looked at the source, I see this:

   <exemplum xml:lang="en">
     <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples" xml:lang="und"
	   valid="false">
<![CDATA[
       <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples">
         <langUsage>
           <language ident="fr">English</language>
         </langUsage>
       </egXML>
<!-- Though syntactically valid, this example is incorrect -->
]]>
     </egXML>
   </exemplum>

The purpose of the "incorrect" example seems to be to demonstrate the
usage of the @valid attribute, here set to false. However, there's a
use-mention problem in the rendering of the page, and the result is that
instead of seeing how to flag an incorrect example as invalid, the
example itself is flagged as invalid.

At this point, my heart goes out to Sebastian, whose stylesheets are
expected to be able to tell the difference between using an attribute
designed to show that examples are invalid, on an example of an example,
and exemplifying the use of that attribute. Ye gods and little fishes,
as me old dad used to say.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)