[tei-council] P5 releases: changes to boilerplate HTML code

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Thu Feb 23 20:04:58 EST 2012

I recall that when a new release of the TEI is made, all of the stuff at
the top of each HTML page -- the TEI logo, the navbar, the search box,
and the phrase "P5: Guidelines for Electronic Text Encoding and
Interchange" -- is inserted at time of compilation.  Somewhere there is
a file that stores the bits of HTML code needed for this.

Related to that, a few things:

a) This code is in need of updating: the menu options have not kept up
with things being used on the TEI website.

b) We should note the location of the code in tcw22 and make a note to
compare against what's currently in use on the TEI website and adjust as
necessary.

c) Currently the P5 version number is in fine print at the bottom of the
page, along with the last updated information.  To a casual visitor,
this looks like a version number for the particular HTML file, not the
full guidelines.  Furthermore, a casual visitor is unlikely to ever see
this.  Therefore, I'd like to request that we modify the code to insert
the current version number somewhere near "P5: Guidelines for Electronic
Text Encoding and Interchange".  Right now there's no straightforward
way for someone to know that there are versions of P5 and to know which
they are looking at, and I think this would make it obvious that the
Guidelines are in fact under constant evolution.

--Kevin