[tei-council] updated list of Council members etc. for P5

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Feb 20 12:16:38 EST 2012

So the next stage is to figure out what all the roles are.

We need to distinguish TEI <affiliations>s from other <affiliation>s,
which could be done, as in my previous example, simply by having "TEI"
as the text content of any <affiliation> tag. But that leaves only the
@role attribute to distinguish all the different roles (since
<affiliation> isn't a member of att.typed, for instance). However,
<roleName> is also available as a child of <affiliation>, and it's a
member of att.typed, so we could have:

<affiliation role="tei">
  <roleName type="council_member" subtype="elected">
</affiliation>

This would enable us to find all TEI affiliations
(affiliation/@role="tei"), all council members (roleName/@type) and the
nature of the appointment (roleName/@subtype). The text content of
<affiliation> could be used to provide a more detailed explanation of
the person's role in human-readable form.

We would presumably have the following types:

council_member
council_chair
board_member
board_chair
board_representative (non-voting partner reps)
board_treasurer
board_secretary
committer
editor