[tei-council] for 28 Feb. conf call: background on Best Practice for TEI in Libraries

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Sun Feb 19 09:53:42 EST 2012

The answer is mostly (a).  But I misremembered the specifics from Syd
and didn't think till now to consult the ODDs where Syd explains these
things, so it turns out Level 2 might actually be conformant.  But in
both cases we're talking about conformance to the TEI's abtract model,
not syntactic conformance.

Level 1 is not conformant because <ab> is abused to include the OCR text
of the entire document, not something at the level of a paragraph.

Level 2 is possibly not conformant depending on whether you think the
Guidelines say that encoding of <p>s is mandatory.