[tei-council] version 2.0.1 p5subset.xml states "edition 2.0.0"

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jan 18 12:14:58 EST 2012

On 12-01-18 07:53 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> On 18/01/12 15:38, Paul F. Schaffner wrote:

>>> Any disagreements that this is the right course of action?
>>
>> If I had to vote, I'd go with 'do nothing.' People who filter content
>> have to know that the filters are imperfect--that they may be trapping
>> dolphins with their catch of tuna.
>>

> I would also vote for doing nothing. I really dont see any good reason
> to over-react in this way, especially since (if I understand correctly)
> this problem was rectified by the filtering agency within 48 hours of
> our reporting the problem. We would introduce a whole load of broken
> links to counter a non-existent problem which only ever affected a small
> number of people. If we are serious about wanting to rationalise the
> identifiers, then we should do it properly, once for all, not in a piece
> meal haphazard fashion. That just looks silly.

The EasyList maintainer fixed the problem immediately, but the Fanboy
list maintainer has ignored my false-positive report completely (and has
meanwhile been updating his/her block list regularly). So there probably
are users out there still suffering from this problem, and other block
lists we don't know about that include it.

That's why I like #3 as a long-term option. Someday some ad company
might decide to prefix all of its ids with "tei_". However, in that
case, we would at least see a consistent and dramatic effect, and we
could take more concerted steps to get the false-positives fixed, as
well as recommending publicly that users avoid specific lists we know
have the problem. When it's just a question of a single div in a single
chapter, it's not worth worrying about, I don't think.

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)