[tei-council] TEI Technical Council Budget 2012

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 10 18:25:00 EST 2012

Dear TEI Technical Council,

This afternoon at the TEI Board teleconference our proposed budget for
two council meetings got (as far as I could tell) unanimous support.

In fact it was decided that (as had been proposed at the würzburg
meeting) that Council would be given a $38K USD budget, with the
understanding that around ~22K of this would be spent on travel and
subsistence for the two Council meetings as we had budgeted, and that
we/I would prepare a more detailed budget for what we wanted to spend
the rest on. This is good news in that we now know for sure that our two
planned meetings will go ahead (and we can start making more
arrangements) and that we should be able to funding some additional
development work or meetings.

The 'other potential activities' that I very vaguely described were:

a) Paying for some additional people to attend the Ann Arbor meeting
specifically if we needed more input on ECCO/EEBO-TCP
conversion/rationalization (I was thinking MartinM or BrianPZ but have
not approached them), but I wonder if this is still as important as
we've solved a lot of the problems.

b) Subsidising a couple extra nights of hotel for several people to
participate in a workshop designing improvements for ODD3 after DH2012.
(I have put in a Future of ODD panel session that includes Lou Burnard,
Syd Baumann, Bertrand Gaiffe, Sebastian Rahtz, and Laurent Romary/Piotr
Bański). If that is accepted then we'd try to get these and some others
as well and offer to pay a couple nights hotel (if needed) to keep them
on a couple days and maybe room costs if we can't get one free.

c) Web-Roma redevelopment bounty. This was the idea that we need a new
community-developed web-roma (not developed/maintained by Oxford) and
that we might put some money towards encouraging/kickstarting a group in
creating this.

d) Another idea was to try to fund an entirely new processing
implementation of ODD2+ that is completely independent of the existing
XSLT. But this is problematic to budget.

e) General code bounty: We could come up with a list of much smaller
development or other technical projects that are much more easily
implemented and sufficiently useful to the TEI-C or Community.

f) Any other ideas?

I'm quite in favour of b) and c) as I believe these respectively lead to
the future development of the TEI and its ongoing sustainability.

Thoughts?

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, InfoDev,