[tei-council] namespaces and customization

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Tue Jan 3 19:41:27 EST 2012

Like James, I read the intention of P5 that way: that you're supposed to
use a namespace for anything that's not a pure subset.  But it's not
entirely clear to me that this was really the intention -- see my
original message in this thread.  I questioned this reading because I
share Martin's questioning that every simple modification -- say, of
adding a @type to an element -- requires moving it out of the TEI namespace.

At the least I would like to see the intention clarified in P5, and at
the most I would like us to revisit the intention.  I'm not sure the
intention is wrong, but I'm not sure it's right either.  If we are
revisiting the intention, it would be worth talking to Bryan
Pytlik-Zillig and/or others who have done work on normalizing documents.
  I wonder whether they would find use of a new namespace useful or a
hassle.