[tei-council] Internationalised domains

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Mon Dec 12 13:44:01 EST 2011

To close this thread, at

http://tei.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tei/trunk/P5/Source/Specs/data.pointer.xml?r1=6437&r2=9580

the reference to RFC 2396 was changed by Lou to RFC 3986, and examples
of Punycode-encoded URIs have been included in the <remarks>.  There is
no refernce to RFC 2987, to Internationalized Resources Identifiers
(IRIs), or to xsd:anyIRI (which I suppose doesn't actually exist).

--Kevin

On 10/8/2011 3:49 AM, Laurent Romary wrote:
> Hi there. I read the whole thread and it seems we could get to
> something on the subject. Could you file in a ticket so that we
> either see a consensus building up around the issue or have this as a
> basis for our f2f. Bon week-end à tous! (comme on dit en bon
> français...) Laurent
>
> Le 7 oct. 2011 à 22:52, Kevin Hawkins a écrit :
>
>> On 10/7/2011 4:31 PM, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:
>>> I am proposing that we prescribe using a specific encoding for
>>> at least the file part of URLs.
>>>
>>> My rationale for that is that without encoding there is (a)
>>> ambiguity about where one URL stops and another starts in lists
>>> of 1–∞ URLs and (b) ambiguity about whether the URL is encoded
>>> leading to issues with generic conversion to HTML, ODF, RDF, etc
>>> needing to guess the encoding of URLs and sometimes getting it
>>> wrong.
>>
>>> To return to the original question, the answer is: No, I suggest
>>> we revise
>>> http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-data.pointer.html

to follow RFC 3987 in all details. I further suggest that we include