[tei-council] Internationalised domains

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 09:05:55 EDT 2011

There are attributes in TEI such as @key which need not take a URI as
> the attribute value but which some people like to put URIs in.  In such
> cases, there is nothing in P5 which prescribes -- and certainly nothing
> that would validate -- a URI in such an attribute to verify whether it
> follows RFC 3986 by properly using percent encoding.  If you had a set
> of documents with URIs in @key, this would obviously be useful;
> otherwise, as in Stuart's most recent message below, you wouldn't know
> whether the URI needs further escaping before processing.  However, it
> seems to me that if someone wants to use a URI here, they should create
> a customization of the TEI in which the datatype for @key or other such
> attributes is changed to be data.pointer.

I think the definition for @key implies that you're on your own when it
comes to validating its values: or, to put it another way, there is a
strong "not my problem" field surrounding it.  I would strongly resist
any suggestion of redefining it to be data.pointer -- if that's what you
want, you should use @ref

Cf previous discussion about whether or not to retire @key entirely though.