[tei-council] Spec for @n (ticket # 3441933)

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 9 13:48:25 EST 2011

This is fine, however... . I think  that a systematic sweep of
<valDesc>s will show very many such discrepancies. Basically <valdesc>
dates from a time before <datatype>s were formalised in the ODDs, and
thus contain all sorts of descriptive garbage, much of which is now
wrong. We have however retained them, because in some cases they
describe useful intended constraints which we would hopefully now
represent using <constraint>s.

So, in a nut shell

a) if there is a conflict between datatype and valdesc, the former is
right and the latter should be nuked ... except that

b) all valdescs need to be examined carefully to see whether they can be
re-expressed in schematron first

sounds like a job for the Proof Reader Extraordinaire to me.