[tei-council] xml:lang="eng"

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Dec 8 16:42:35 EST 2011

After a bit more reading, I discovered that the list cited belongs to
RFC 5646, and RFC 5646 says this:

"This document replaces [RFC4646] (which obsoleted [RFC3066] which, in
    turn, replaced [RFC1766]).  This document, in combination with
    [RFC4647], comprises BCP 47.  For a list of changes in this document,
    see Section 8."

In other words, I believe that BCP 47 is still in force. The list of
subtags here, then:

<http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry>

is very convenient, and we should point to it, but I'm not sure how we
should modify the discussion around BCP 47 and the two ISO standards.
For the moment, given that we want to release soon, I'm inclined to do
the following:

1. Fix bad values (already in progress).

2. Add a sentence to the discussion in CH to the effect that "A useful
list of language subtags can be found at
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry>".

3. Raise a ticket asking for a thoughtful revision of the discussion of
BCP 47 and its related RFCs and ISO standards.

Does that make sense?

(mholmes at uvic.ca)