[tei-council] xml:lang="eng"

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 11:41:36 EST 2011

As far as I can tell, the new IANA list replaces all the previous items
we might have cited, yes. (See
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-lang-2or3.en.php )

On 2011-12-08 16:36, Martin Holmes wrote:
> On 11-12-08 05:33 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
>> Ah, we should probably update the reference in CH to point to this in
>> that case.
>
> It's a fairly long and complicated section:
>
> <http://bits.nsms.ox.ac.uk:8080/jenkins/job/TEIP5-Documentation/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/Guidelines-web/en/html/CH.html#CHSH>
>
> How does the new IANA list relate to BCP 47 and the two ISO standards?
> Does RFC 5646 (which I think is the RFC for the new subtag-registry)
> just replace BCP 47?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>

>> On 08/12/11 12:24, Gabriel Bodard wrote:
>>> By the way, I recently discovered that there is now a single IANA
>>> registry of language codes so we no longer need to worry about looking
>>> in the 2-letter list, and then if we don't find what we're looking for
>>> move on to the 3-letter list. Instead, all codes, both 2- and
>>> (occasional) 3-letter (and 4-letter script codes) are listed on a single
>>> page at<http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry>, so
>>> there is no longer any danger of accidentally using a 3-digit code that
>>> has been deprecated in favour of its 2-digit replacement.
>>>
>>> (For example, "Ancient Greek (to 1453)" is now unambiguously listed as
>>> "grc", so should not be confused with "el".)
>>>
>>> I've found this very helpful while trying to decide how to tag Nabatean
>>> script in papyri...

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL