Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sat Nov 26 02:13:00 EST 2011

On 11-11-25 03:47 PM, stuart yeates wrote:
> On 26/11/11 10:06, Martin Holmes wrote:
>
>> ----------
>> <ident>   should be used for tokens such as variable names, class names,
>> type names, function names etc. in formal programming languages. (It
>> should not be used for element and attribute names in XML, for which the
>> special elements<gi>   and<att>   are provided.)
>>
>> <idno>   should be used for labels which uniquely identify an object or
>> concept in a formal cataloguing system such as a database or an RDF
>> store, or in a distributed system such as the World Wide Web.
>> ----------
>
> These definitions give no indication which to use when a textual string
> meets both of those criteria.

I'd suggest that nothing should meet both these criteria. If you're a
variable or function name, you're definitely not part of a formal
cataloguing system, surely>?

> I suggest that<idno>  be given precedence,
> since I imagine it's more widely used.

I don't really understand what "precedence" means here. If I've failed
to disambiguate the two tags, then I should try again, but I don't think
we should ever be in the position of saying "these two tags are
basically the same, but you should prefer this one because we have a
feeling that more people use it than the other one".