Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 24 09:41:34 EST 2011

I think I support Martin's position here, that the distinction between
<idno> and <ident> is as he described it in his proposed revisions to
the guidelines and is pretty clear and unambiguous. The difference is
also one of context, in that <idno> provides an identifier to its parent
element, while <ident> identifies a string in prose or elsewhere as some
kind of name or identifier. The two are usually very different kinds of
animal (as he describes below).

Might they overlap sometimes? Maybe. Well, that's probably inevitable
even, but I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with the idea of using
<ident> to tag an isbn used outside of the context of a bibliography.
(Even if we do decide that works, though, I don't think that destroys
Martin's definitions; it would just be an edge case where we see
overlap, but where context makes it clear what's needed.)

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL